Able Health is looking for Junior Software Engineers to build clinical care algorithms and delightful features as we rapidly scale our product and organization.
We are looking for engineers who understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system that can’t be tacked on but are carefully calculated with every decision made. You’ll have the opportunity to work on a team that values collaborators over cowboys, creativity over closed-mindedness, diversity and inclusivity, and sustainable pace over fire-fighting.
About Able Health
Able Health’s mission is to support a continuously improving US healthcare system. Our platform helps doctors earn incentives from health plans for delivering better care. We’re a well-funded healthcare startup backed by Y Combinator and located in downtown San Francisco.
What you’ll do
- Implement and test clinical algorithms to evaluate care and patient health outcomes
- Build a new feature, with unit tests, that can support our large-and-growing user base
- Contribute to internal tools that help us improve our development process, manage our users, and scale our systems
- Help our skilled engineering team triage and solve bugs
- Whiteboard a fix to a scaling problem — and then make it happen
- Collaborate with peers to write, review, or provide feedback on a technical design proposal
Who we’re looking for
- You have curiosity about how things work
- You can digest, break down, and explain complex business logic
- You believe quality and reliability are important
- You are a strong communicator with emotional intelligence. Explaining technical concepts to product managers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You have experience with Java and/or Ruby on Rails, with an interest in developing skills across both languages
- You have experience with functional RSpec, Mocha, Jasmine, or similar test frameworks
- You can jump into situations with few guardrails and make things better
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability
- When things break — and they will — you are eager and able to help fix things
Extra nice things to have
- Track record of working on mission-driven projects
- Experience on Agile software teams
- Knowledge of health-related domains
- Experience with business rules engines (e.g. Drools)
Our dashboard application is written in Ruby/Rails and stores data in PostgreSQL. Our business rules engine is written in Java using Drools. Able Health deploys to systems running in Aptible on AWS. Our team prefers battle-tested technology whenever possible. If you are more interested in the problem than the tooling you will be in good company.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your dependents
- Competitive salary
- Equity in an pre-Series-A, Y-Combinator-backed startup with customers
- Opportunity to impact patient care and the daily lives of healthcare professionals
- Working in a team with high EQ that values diversity