I can’t help but observe from a chat with a friend, that IT is in a bit of a
crises, a “Trough of Disillusionment”.
“It doesn’t seem to me that there is huge progress on anything.”
- #cryptowinter – nevermind the toxic FUD in the (poisoned?) “community”
- Virtual Reality Is STRUGGLING
- AI & ML has certainly peaked expectations
- Intel seems to have stalled
- that Internet speeds never seem to get better faster or more reliable
- still sad that Uber left Singapore. GoJek & Grab are duking it out, but it just feels like more of the same. Nevermind the sad state of bike sharing & electric stuff in Singapore
- kubernetes’s insane complexity proliferating #devops (i personally found DO supporting k8s shocking)
- the never ending AWS new stuff and accompanying complexity 😉
- the Web losing the 3rd browser engine, Edge, leaving us with Webkit (blink is pretty much the same guys) & Gecko effectively
- the fact that only big corporates seem able to weather the storm whilst a lot of smaller ventures are in pain/poverty
It’s too easy to get depressed in the information age we’re in.
Beside being all doom and gloom, I am trying to seek out positives. The only
thing I can think of is that all my laptops (thinkpads & Apple MBP) are now
rocking USB-C PSUs. It’s so nice not to worry about what charger is where now.
One cable for Internet &
power feels like great progress.
Anything else anyone?
My tact to deal with this pain is to try as I usually do.. reduce and shun complexity. Try not to burn out.