Scale a world-class engineering organization.
Lumi helps ecommerce brands produce memorable and sustainable packaging through our online platform and worldwide network of factories. Tens of millions of packages are being shipped every year with Lumi products.
By joining Lumi you will have a front row seat to the rapidly changing way people buy things, and the supply chain behind everything that gets shipped to your doorstep. Learn more →
About the role
As the first VP of Engineering at Lumi, you will build the team and engineering organization that helps us make custom manufacturing as scalable as the web. Our mission is to bring online thousands of factories around the world, and make those accessible and scalable for any business — think of it like AWS for custom manufacturing.
As VP of Engineering you will lead the engineering culture of our growth-minded, software-driven company. You will report to co-founder Stephan Ango, and lead our current team of 8 engineers. We are seeking candidates with experience growing and managing teams of over 50 engineers.
Your role will be to develop the culture that enables us to achieve complex technical goals. At Lumi we believe firmly in inclusion and diversity. We also have had a distributed engineering culture from day one. It is helpful if you have led distributed teams, and we are particularly looking for candidates who will work remotely but within geographical proximity of our headquarters in Los Angeles.
Our engineering philosophy is to pick the right tool for each job, and enable talented engineering leaders to own the technical decision making. We use this approach to solve a wide range of technical problems from building complex pricing algorithms, to opening public APIs, building integrations with other software platforms and enabling data science for customer-facing and internal purposes. You can read about our use of Haskell and type-driven programming as an example of this approach.
What we look for
Our team is made up of people from diverse backgrounds, often working remotely across the world. We believe cross-pollination is one of the best ways to foster community and new ideas. For that reason we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to any of our positions.
Creating a great environment for everyone on the team is something we care deeply about. There are a few qualities we look for in anyone joining Lumi. Here are some of the questions we’ll be asking ourselves when reviewing your application:
- Curiosity: Your role will evolve as time goes on. Do you have an eagerness to learn new skills, adapt to new situations and get out of your comfort zone?
- Communication: Whether it is in written or spoken form, are you able to communicate clearly and concisely with others?
- Empathy: Do you collaborate well with others? How do you deal with disagreements? Do you relate to the challenges we seek to solve for our customers?
- Work ethic: Do you have a can-do attitude? In the ever-moving world of logistics, will you do your best to not keep others waiting? Can we rely on you to bring rigor and enthusiasm necessary to your work?
- Good taste: Are you attentive to details? Do you care about creating an elegant, pleasant experience for customers and those around you?
Note that due to the volume of applications we are not able to reply to everyone. Rest assured, we do read every application. Thanks for considering us!