The Muse is the most trusted and beloved career platform, connecting individuals and companies on a more authentic level. We support over 75 million people looking to craft meaningful careers through TheMuse.com and our employer partners. Smart companies work with us to attract today’s top talent, giving candidates the information they need to find the company that is right for them. Why? Because life’s too short to hate your career.
The Muse is seeking a talented Director of Design & UX who is deeply curious and motivated by solving tough problems that make a difference in users’ lives. You’ll report directly to the VP of Product and be responsible for managing, growing, and organizing the team responsible for designing every feature you see on our website (and many you don’t!). Join our team of smart, curious, respectful, friendly, fun, driven Musers who believe in making the world of work better.
How You’ll Make an Impact
- You’ll lead UX and Design efforts across The Muse, including the entire consumer experience on www.themuse.com, our employer tools & back end, and preserving our brand and visual identity.
- You’ll establish and articulate a design strategy that ties back to the overall business context and maintain quality and rigor for end-to-end design initiatives while fulfilling business objectives and goals
- You will be responsible for the navigation, organization, interaction design, and business/user process engineering for both web and mobile. This involves application of user-centered design methods to translate user needs, business objectives, and technology capabilities into world-class, innovative and beautiful user experience
- You have a point of view on how the design process should be run, and care about execution. You guide and support your team to scale process and systems with business needs
- You will incorporate SEO best practices, analytics research, and general best practices into all architecture, UX and design recommendations
- You’ll manage two designers (one in-house, one freelance) and grow and develop the Design & UX team
- You’ll partner with our product and engineering teams to plan, design, and develop all new consumer- and client-facing features.
- You’ll partner with our marketing and sales teams to effectively translate and communicate our pitch and messaging to clients and consumers alike
- You’ll work closely with our data team to get inputs to research and design, and to measure and increase product engagement
- You’ll regularly meet with stakeholders and partners across The Muse to ensure that ideas, feedback, and needs from all areas of the business are accounted for.
- You’ll be the steward of the visual identity of The Muse, ensuring consistent branding and process across design, marketing and other terms. You’ll organize your team to be able to support different types of deliverables and goals from different teams, with an ultimate focus on achieving the goal at hand.
Why We’ll Love You
- You have 4-6 years experience leading design and UX functions in a tech or digital media environment, and have worked with engineers and product managers on successful web product/feature launches.
- Experience working with remote teams or startup/high-growth experience a plus, but not required.
- As a master of your craft, you draw from a broad toolkit of processes spanning digital design and innovation.
- You look for opportunities to apply new approaches to age-old challenges, solving for business and user needs in the process.
- You have experience working on successful and emotionally resonant products that users love.
- Prior experience with consumer brands or marketplaces is a plus.
- You have experience managing and developing designers and UX researchers. As a creative mentor, you are always looking for opportunities to share your wisdom and expertise as the team grows.
- You’re supportive and fair, showing genuine interest in the well-being and success of your team.
- You set a positive tone and recognize and reward individual contributions.
- As a teammate, you drive clarity in undefined problem spaces.
- You’re curious, know when you’re not at the bottom of the problem, and will scratch under the surface with the right questions to make sure we understand what we are building and why.
- You have no problem rolling up your sleeves and running a user research session or design a pitch deck if needed.
- You’re familiar with agile management techniques, and understand how to create an effective team structure and workflow.
- You’re collaborative, diplomatic and humble, with outstanding written and verbal communication skills. You provide thoughtful feedback, and accept and resolve critique gracefully.
- You’re hypothesis-driven, understand MVPs and intuitively think of what the easiest, smallest thing we can do to test a hypothesis would be.
- And finally, you have passion and empathy for job seekers—you’ve been there too and want to be a part of building a better experience and changing the industry for the better.
Why You’ll Love Us
- You’ll be surrounded by a collaborative team that is working together to reshape the future of work.
- Our team works on problems, not tasks. We like to help our users and other teams turn their needs into great products.
- We move fast, with multiple releases every day and an iterative approach to developing new features and measuring their success.
- You’ll work at a tech company founded by two badass women—Our founders believe transparency is important so they really try to share as much as they can about changes to The Muse strategy, board meetings, and when they are wrestling with big company-wide decisions.
- The Muse actually has—and sticks to—a “no assholes” policy, so you can come to work everyday knowing you will always be surrounded by good people who genuinely care about you.
- We invest in growing our people—personally and professionally
- We offer unlimited vacation—and we mean it!
About Our Design Team
We are a small team of digital designers with expertise in visual design and interaction design. We’re excited to grow and bring in more expertise in UX and design research. We partner closely with product management and engineering to strategize, design, and launch digital products. We’re always looking for ways to enhance collaboration and add the right tools in place, such as combining Sketch Libraries and Storybook to make handoffs with engineering and feature QA easier.
We believe that a strong design culture is essential to delivering top-notch work, and that design can be a powerful tool to build a relationship with our users. We take a pragmatic approach to design, and always strive for our work to make someone else’s life better.
At The Muse, we believe that great ideas come from anywhere. We support a collaborative environment and value open participation from individuals with different ideas, experiences, and perspectives. We believe having a diverse team makes The Muse a more interesting and innovative place to work, and we strive every day to make The Muse a welcoming and inclusive place for all.
If this could be your dream job, please submit a cover letter and resume, so we can get to know you a little better.