Starcity provides beautifully designed coliving communities in major cities, and we’re on track to welcome thousands (and one day millions) of customers to our communities over the coming years. We have awesome backers including Y Combinator, Bullpen Capital, NEA, Social Capital, Index Ventures and have been featured in notable publications like the New York Times, Business Insider, San Francisco Chronicle, Silicon Valley Magazine, TechCrunch and many more.
We seek a Chief of Staff (COS) for our awesome CEO, Jon Dishotsky. You can check out his old blog and get a sense of why he decided to work on helping solve the housing crisis in cities here.
In this role, not only will you be the CEO’s right hand you will have the opportunity to work closely with other senior executives at the company to ensure that we meet our objectives in the near term, and help the company achieve our mission over the long term. You’ll get hands-on experience with helping scale a post-Series B startup across a wide variety of departments, and you’ll be able to grow into other roles as the company grows.
Below is a general summary of what the Chief of Staff would be great at doing. We don’t expect you to come in day 1 and do all of this, that would be silly. However, over time, we’d create a workflow that encompasses most of these capabilities, so this is what you’d work towards.
- Keep company on track for O&O’s (our name for OKR’s)
- Scheduling high priority and CEO meetings – not a huge priority as Jon handles a lot of his calendar, however tracking others down and shifting times can be an important way to ensure we are respectful of other people’s time
- Planning and executing senior management meetings, retreats, all-hands, and company off-sites
- Taking meeting notes and tracking meeting follow-ups
- Maintaining contacts and keeping in touch with top 30 external people and scheduling lunches and meeting with execs and skip levels
- Vetting speaking opportunities and interview requests – being a liaison between CEO and our PR team
- Working with in-house recruiting, outside recruiters and CEO’s network to help bring in great talent
- Making sure CEO’s vision for culture makes it into practice
Project Management Duties:
- Communicating status of an initiative to the CEO, pulling in other execs or team members as necessary
- Building presentations to share out timelines to the company during all-hands
- Inviting teams to connect that are working on similar initiatives to avoid overlap, and if necessary create a cross-functional group to build new team or department
Board Interface and Meeting Duties:
- Project managing board meeting preparation and creation of board meeting materials
- Keeping KPI’s on track updating monthly dashboards to track changes in key metrics
- Build a relationship with board members to provide an additional conduit to CEO
- Attending the board meeting and taking notes that can be circulated and providing next steps to the exec team
- Attending meetings and drafting emails in place of the CEO
- Eventually, make decisions in place of the CEO
- 3-7 years work experience as a top performer in a high-stakes environment
- Ability to build significant relationships and trust as the COS will need to collaborate with and obtain information from other teams leads who they don’t have any formal authority over
- Ideally a pro goal setter and has experience with managing OKR’s (internally we call them O&O’s)
- Analytical, detail-oriented, and highly organized – because Jon is not (small side note: Jon is very reliable and great at showing up to meetings on his calendar etc so this will not be a big focus of your time)
- Has a bias for action, unless it’s a major decision that will require further data and evaluation
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Deep thinker, with the ability to both, see the big picture and master the details
The position is a full-time, salaried role with medical, dental and vision benefits. Equity will be granted. We also have 401k matching up to 4% and a $5,000 annual education credit to further your development.
Working on weekends and evenings may be required as needed.
Starcity is an equal opportunity housing provider and employer, and acts in these capacities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.